Friday, November 14, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

... and no, I'm not talking about Thanksgiving, or Christmas (both of which will be here before we know it...)...

... no, I'm talking about MY most wonderful time of the year, my all-time favorite semiannual used book sale at the Radnor Memorial Library. This is, hands down, the creme de la creme of all the book sales I frequent.

In fact, it's such an amazing sale that:

*I once pulled out my lower back trying to carry all the books I'd purchased to my car. I was laid up the rest of the day... but it was totally worth it!

*My friend Rick's parents are driving down from Allentown (about an hour/hour and a half away) for this sale tomorrow.

*My sister has to miss it because she's taking a tour of the University of Pittsburgh this weekend, and she briefly contemplated skipping the tour and rescheduling it for the spring (don't worry- she realized how ridiculous that was before I even had time to say anything; as soon as she said it, she said, "No, I can't, that's insane."

*I've overheard people talking about this book sale at OTHER book sales.   :-D

So, um, yeah... it's a pretty hardcore book sale!!! I'm getting up at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning to get ready for this! I know that probably sounds extreme, but I've gotten there as early as 8:30 AM and people are already lined up around the corner (the sale starts at 9 AM). People are extreme when it comes to these sales- everything's picked over in just a few hours! So I like to get there early on the first day when they have the best selection. It's earlier than I even get up for work, but it will be SO worth it. And I don't want to be rushing around in the morning- I want to get up, have a nice breakfast (gotta jump-start the great day with my fav cereal- Barbara's Multigrain Shredded Spoonfuls!), stop for coffee, etc. I'd rather get up extra-early and take my time than sleep in and be rushing around like a maniac! Of course, I will be back tomorrow and post a list of all of my exciting finds! I can't wait!!!

What a great way to jump-start a weekend! I don't know about you all, but I had a seriously blah week. The weather was miserable all week (gray and rainy!), work was blah, everything was just blah, blah, blah. I NEED a fun weekend, so this book sale could not have come at a better time! What are you all up to this weekend? Any fun and exciting plans?   ;-)

Since I have to get up at the booty-crack of dawn tomorrow, I'm totally just chilling tonight with a yummy dinner (I'm planning a new concoction in my head- I hope it turns out the way I want it to- I'll post pics later), the remote, and my new book, Where the Girls Are, which I'm about 30 pages into, and it's so great so far. It's a sociological look into how mass media has portrayed women in a contradictory light from the 50s on- the conflicting messages of the All-American housewife of the 50s, the bra-burning feminist of the 60s/70s, the shoulder-padded suit career gal of the 80s, the Lean Cuisine/Ultra-Slim Fast diet swimsuit model of the 90s. It's SUCH a great book so far! I <3 sociology/mass media/women's studies books!!! 

Be back later with a dinner post!

No comments: