Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fourth time's the charm

So the mechanic finally secured a rim that wasn't all jacked up- yay! I left work a little early to go get that taken care of (double yay!), and so I'm glad to have all that taken care of so I can put all this behind me!

Happy almost-weekend! Is anyone else's week kind of dragging along, or is it just me??? Oh well, who cares... tomorrow's Friday! And my payday! Smiles all around! :-)

Ooh, and even more reasons to smile today: I got my coupon for a free Kashi entree in the mail! Free food is the best! Now, what should I get??? I can get any entree I want, excluding their pizzas. I don't eat frozen dinners- I find them kind of high in sodium, and I'd much rather just make my own grub- but I'm not letting a coupon like this go to waste! I have had a few Kashi meals here and there, and they're quite tasty and enjoyable- not to mention healthy and filling- especially for a frozen meal-in-a-box. The coupon doesn't expire until June 30, so I've got plenty of time to think about it. And who knows- they might come out with some new entrees between now and then!

I also got my latest Netflix DVD in the mail! I got the first disc of season one of American Dreams. Did anyone else watch that show? It was a show that ran on Sunday nights on NBC a few years ago. It only lasted two, maybe three seasons, but it was pretty damn good (sigh... why do they always cancel good shows???). It was about a family in Philadelphia in the 1960s, and one of the daughters was on the TV show American Bandstand, and one of the sons was in the Vietnam war, and the other had polio, and there was also an African-American family profiled in the show, so you got to see all the social ramifications this family had to endure during that time period. It was a really good show. I loved it. So I'll be watching that at some point this weekend!

So I'm about 40 pages into Atonement, and all I have to say so far is why have I not read any Ian McEwen before???? This man is a beautiful writer. The way he writes is completely captivating. I mean, check out some of the excerpts below, just from the pages I've read:

"A second thought always followed the first, one mystery bred another: Was everyone else really as alive as she was? For example, did her sister really matter to herself, was she as valuable to herself as Briony was? Was being Cecelia just as vivid an affair as being Briony? Did her sister also have a real sense of self concealed behind a breaking wave, and did she spend time thinking about it, with a finger held up to her face? Did everybody, including her father, Betty, Hardman? If the answer was yes, then the world, the social world, was unbearably complicated, with two billion voices, and everyone's thoughts striving in equal importance and everyone's claim on life as intense, and everyone thinking they were unique, when no one was. One could drown in irrelevance. But if the answer was no, then Briony was surrounded by machines, intelligent and pleasant enough on the outisde, but lacking the bright and private inside feeling she had. This was sinister and lonely, as well as unlikely. For, thought it offended her sense of order, she knew it was overwhelmingly probable that everyone else had thoughts like hers. She knew this, but only in a rather arid way; she didn't really feel it."

"...a story was a form of telepathy. By means of inking symbols onto a page, she was able to send thoughts and feelings from her mind to her reader's. It was a magical process, so commonplace that no one stopped to wonder at it. Reading a sentence and understanding it were the same thing; as with the crooking of a finger, nothing lay between them. There was no gap during which the symbols were unraveled. You saw the word castle, and it was there, seen from some distance, with woods in high summer spread before it, the air bluish and soft with smoke rising from the blacksmith's forge, and a cobbled road twisting away into the green shade..."

This is truly mesmerizing and captivating writing. I could pull even more excerpts just from the few pages I've read, but to be honest, my roommate's yummy-smelling dinner is making me hungry for my own. So it's off to make a sweet potato concoction (on tonight's menu: Gardenburger Black Bean Chipotle Burger- BTW, Yasmin, these burgers are absolutely INCREDIBLE... get your hands on them if you can!!!- carrots, salsa, and the star of the show- the sweet potato!)

We're just hours away from the weekend!!!!

P.S. It's not too late to enter Anna's Quaker Oats Giveaway... you have until tomorrow night to enter! I'd love to win, but I'm not holding my breath... this is about the fourth or fifth time I've entered one of the Quaker giveaways and I haven't won yet! :-(

No comments: