Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Barreling through The Bell Jar...

So I have about fifty pages left of The Bell Jar. It's a fast read- only about 250 pages. It's pretty good. Based on all the hype this book has received throughout the years, I expected her to more, well, psychotic (as in, ripping out her fingernails and banging her head against the wall), but she's really more depressed than psychotic. But it's a good read. My friend Bianca said that she read this in high school and it just changed her life. I wouldn't go that far, but I did read She's Come Undone during a particularly difficult time in my life (freshman year of college, when I was still adjusting to college life, had just broken up with my boyfriend, etc.), and it really affected me and changed my life. It was the perfect time in my life to read that book. It's still one of my all-time faves. The Bell Jar, not affecting me so much. But I like it.

I hate that it gets so dark so early now. According to weather.com, the sun set here at 6:35 p.m. That sucks. It depresses me. Have I mentioned just how much I hate winter? I know it's only fall, and at least we're having a pleasant fall, but I know that winter isn't too far behind. I seriously have to stop thinking this way and just appreciate autumn. Maybe The Bell Jar is  getting to me more than I thought!

Hope everyone out there is having a good week! My week has been all right. Work is about to get really busy and insane, starting on Friday and letting up around the end of the month. I don't mind being busy, I don't mind working hard, but I hate feeling rushed and overwhelmed with rush projects, which is what some of our upcoming projects are going to be. For example, there's one project where we have to proofread an 800-page book in, literally, 4 hours. No exaggerating. I have a great boss who always tells us just to do the best we can, but I just hate that rushed pressured feeling. But, it happens. And I have lots of vacation days coming up once this all dies down, so at least I have that to look forward! I have seven vacation days just in December alone! And a few in November around the holidays, and some random days here and there. We have a use-it-or-lose-it policy at work with vacation/sick days. And I intend to use every single one I have! I actually didn't take a single sick day so far this year... which means I might get my first-ever Perfect Attendance Award at work! Of course, now that I've said that, I'm going to get sick. But that's okay. I wasn't trying for perfect attendance, it just happened.   :-)

All right, time to get myself some dinner (I have a sweet potato in the fridge, begging to be topped with some cheese and broccoli and salsa and Boca crumbles, so I must comply) and watch some high-quality TV- America's Next Top Model and The Biggest Loser. And read some of The Bell Jar.  Maybe I'll even finish it up tonight! That would be exciting. Doesn't take much to excite me.   ;-)

No comments: