Wednesday, October 8, 2008

And as promised...

... a list of my exciting finds and acquisitions from this past weekend's book sales!

Paperback Book Sale on Saturday:

*Good Enough to Eat, by Leslea Newman (Fiction novel about a 25-year-old woman with an eating disorder- bulimia- living in New York City.)

*The Feminine Mystique, by Betty Friedan (This book was supposed to be an amazing book about the feminist movement. I love women's studies/women's empowerment books, and I've heard of this book, and so I was really excited to find it... and for .33 cents, at that! It was a paperback, and paperbacks were 3/$1.)

*The Class, by Erich Segal (A fiction novel about a group of five men who graduated from Harvard in 1958 who reunite for their 25th reunion, and it chronicles their lives from the past 25 years.)

Book Sale on Sunday:

*Peanuts: A Golden Celebration (The Art and Story of the World's Best Comic Strip), by Charles Schulz (This looked really cute and was only $1 for a coffee table book, with lots of illustrations and commentary from the late, great Charles Schulz. I figured, for $1, why not?)

*The Onion Ad Nauseam: Fanfare for the Area Man, Archived Volume #15 (I don't really read The Onion, but this looked really funny, and was only $1)

*I Am Charlotte Simmons, by Tom Wolfe (An 800+-page novel about a girl attending a prestigious Ivy League university. This got mixed reviews, but whatev, I've been wanting to read it for a while)

*6th Target  and *7th Heaven, by James Patterson (This is part of the Women's Murder Club series, and I have all of them in hardback, all purchased from various book sales, and I've been looking for these two in hardback forever and I finally found them! Now I have the whole series in hardback for a fraction of the cost of just one hardback... I find that very exciting.)

*Mommy Wars: Stay-at-Home and Career Moms Face Off on Their Choices, Their Lives, and Their Families, edited by Leslie Morgan Steiner (Again, I love books about women's studies, and I also love sociology books, so I thought this would be an interesting read)

*Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood,  by Susan Linn (A book about how marketing/advertising companies aggressively target young children in their marketing and ad campaigns, the psychology behind it, etc. I LOVE books like these. I find them so interesting)

*A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation, by Catherine Crier (I almost put this back, but I like reading true crime, and at that point of the book sale, it was getting really crowded, overwhelmingly crowded, and I just wanted to pay for my books and get out of there. And it was only $2 and in brand-new condition. So I bought it. I probably didn't need it, but oh well.)

*My Friend Leonard, by James Frey (The sequel to A Million Little Pieces... I promised a friend of mine that I would buy this if I came across it at a book sale)

*Gossip of the Starlings, by Nina deGramont (A fiction novel about two girls in boarding school. I like that whole "school-lit" genre... I read Prep, Admissions, etc., so I thought this would be a fun read)

*Just Between Us, by Cathy Kelly (Cathy Kelly writes Irish chick lit, and if you like chick lit, you should read her... she's great! She reminds me of Marian Keyes. I have almost all of her books. Bonus: it's signed by the author! And was only $1! Hurray!)

So those are my book sale finds! And they've been added to the No Book Left Behind list, of course, and I added the titles to the Still-Unnamed-Box-of-Book-Titles. I really need to get on that and think of something cute and clever.

1 comment:

Sarah Pekkanen said...

Hi there --

I'm a chick-lit book lover, too! And Marian K is wonderful.
If you have a minute, I'd love it if you'd check out my website and let me know what you think. ( www.sarahpekkanen.com ) I'm a brand new author who just signed a publishing contract with the same house as Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner. If you like the site and want to sign up for my private email list (box on my homepage) I'll email you the first chapter as soon as I can. I'd really like to get thoughts from readers, not just reviewers!
xo
Sarah
www.sarahpekkanen.com