Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to normal


You know, today was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be at work... it was a lot less painful than I had anticipated. Well, I guess that's better than the other way around, huh? :)

I power-read through the rest of The Class on my lunch break... I only had a few chapters left and I just couldn't put it down.... I had to finish it!!! It was soooo good!!!! Even though I didn't like many of the characters personally, I was so wrapped up in their personal lives, that I felt I'd been through the past 25 years with them, and so I had to find out what happened to each of them in the end! I was emotionally invested, even if I didn't like them. :-)


I didn't like two of the characters in particular because of the way they treated not only their wives, but women in general. Two of the five characters cheated on their wives, and in general, some of the characters viewed women as the weaker, lesser sex, and as objects, not people. There's one scene in the book where one character's son is taken to the hospital and is treated by a female pediatrician, and he is appalled by this, and demands to speak to the chief of pediatrics (which happens to be the same doctor- touche!). And in general, women are just treated poorly for the most part in this book. I know it goes with the times and all- that's really how women were viewed in the 50s and 60s... but I can't help but take offense!!!! Luckily, the women who are scorned and treated poorly in this book get theirs in the end in some way or another, whether it's through their careers, their personal lives, etc.


All in all, dislike of certain characters aside, I just loved this book. I just loved the author's style of writing, and I look forward to reading more books by Erich Segal in the future. Not Love Story, though... that's not really my thing. Plus the plot and the ending are pretty common knowledge, LOL.


I came home with yoga on the agenda, but I just had to pick my new book first. I was just too excited to think of anything else, especially a calming and relaxing workout like yoga. Whenever I pick a new book, I get like a kid who has woken up really early on Christmas Day, but has to wait until the parents are awake to open up presents (come on, we all did it at least once in childhood, whether we want to admit it or not). I just get seriously, seriously excited thinking about what random book I'll pick next! (This might be a sign that I need to get out more.)

So I ended up picking Irish Girls About Town, which is pictured above. I just remembered why I hate posting in Blogger and always post in Windows Live Writer. Because for some reason, Blogger won't let me put the picture wherever I want in my post. It just goes straight to the top. Annoying. Either that or I just don't know how to do it, which is entirely possible, because I am not electronics/technical savvy at all. Don't believe me? I bought a DVD player last week because mine crapped out, and I haven't even attempted to open up and take it out of the box and hook it up. I'm waiting for my roommate to come home so she can do it for me. Because I just know I can't handle the task. I couldn't even figure out how to switch from the Wii to our TV cable. She had to set it up before she went home for the holidays. That's how slow-witted I am when it comes to those things.
Anyway, so this book is basically a compilation of short stories from various Irish chick lit writers, like Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly (LOVE her), Maeve Binchy, etc. I love Irish chick lit, so I
I'm excited to start this book! I got it for $1 at my favorite book sale last year, and it's in excellent condition! Yay. There's also an American version called- surprisingly- American Girls About Town, which I also own, but haven't read yet.
I probably won't get too far into it tonight (I always want to start a new book ASAP!) because there's a lot of good TV watching to be had tonight (is anyone else going to watch the premiere of Diet Tribe on Lifetime tonight? I am), plus my roommate is coming home after being home in CA for two weeks, so I anticipate a long night of catching up and dishing!
I hope everyone's Mondays/first days back weren't too bad! Remember that now we're just one day closer to the weekend! :-)


No comments: