Monday, December 15, 2008

Whirlwind weekend

Wow, did this weekend just FLY by! But I successfully tackled everything on my "to-do" list, so it's all good. Plus, I don't really have much room to complain about the weekend going by too fast, because as of this Friday at 4:30 PM, I will be on vacation for TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!! Well, sort of. I'll be in the office on Christmas Eve, but the office is closing at 1 PM, and I also will be working New Year's Eve, but we usually get out early that day too. But other than that, I will be on vacation from this Friday until January 5!!! I am so excited!!! And I'm going to start off my vacation by going to see the Pennsylvania Ballet performing The Nutcracker with my roommate in the city on Friday evening... my grandmother used to take me and my cousins to see it when we were little, and I always loved it. I haven't seen it in years, so it'll be nice to see it again, especially this year when I got such devastating news about my grandmother. She'll be really happy to hear that I'm going... and maybe even a little jealous! ;-)

I had such a great day today. I can't remember the last really good day I had. It was just one of those days where everything went smoothly, you know what I mean? I slept really well last night, I had a good day at work, a great workout, an awesome dinner (simple, but delicious- grilled chicken sandwich with a Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb cheese wedge on a toasted Arnold's 100-Calorie Whole Wheat Thin and sauteed mushrooms, along with some steamed carrots and broccoli with light balsamic vinaigrette... yum!) my Cosmo actually came early for once... happiness all around.

I finished Life's Work today on my lunch break... I read it in just four days! And I had not been so busy this weekend and committed more time to it, I probably could have finished it in even less time. It was a very fast read- 218 pages- and it was great! The author was (is? not sure if she still is) a columnist for The New York Times, and the book seemed to be pretty much a compilation of her columns. Each "chapter" was only a page or two long, which is probably another reason why it was such a fast, easy-breezy read. Anyway, it was very cute and quirky, and I liked it a lot. In one chapter/column, she quoted a playwright that I'd never heard of before, Ionesco, regarding the concept of time, and I think it was my favorite sentence in the whole book, and I most definitely related to it: "We haven't the time to take the time." Ah, so true! We get so busy with work, with school, with functions and parties and obligations and commitments, that we often don't have the luxury of time itself. There are definitely days where I feel that way! I try to savor and appreciate the little things in life, as I'm sure a lot of us try to do, but some days, life seems to just get in the way of what should be a simple pleasure, and a necessity for our personal sanity! Think how much happier we'd all be if we just had the time to take our time. Let's all try it tomorrow, even just for a few minutes, and see what happens. :-)

I'm tired, so that's about as deep as my thoughts are going to go for the evening, and that's admittedly not even all that deep, LOL. Anyway, I enjoyed the book very much and recommend it if you're looking for a quick read about the day-to-day struggles of the daily grind!

Here's the new book I picked out of the box!

DSCI0845 Like the Powerpuff Girls fleece blanket chilling on my bed? Haha. What can I say... I never grew up! In fact, if you look really closely, you can partially see one of my Care Bear slippers peeking out in the back righthand corner of the picture.

Anyway, the new book pick is called Nip n' Tuck, by Kathy Lette. I didn't buy this; a friend of mine gave it to me, literally, about seven years ago, and I've never cracked it open. It's a British chick lit book, the typical story of a plucky woman who's hit 40 and her husband has left her for a hottie half her age, and she contemplates getting plastic surgery in an effort to get him back, and she relies on friends and family to get her through the troubled times. A familiar story! I thumbed through it and am a little leery of it, it doesn't look really all that interesting or funny, but I'll give it a fair try- a day- and if I'm still not feeling it by tomorrow, then I'll pick another book. Life's too short to read books you're just not that into!

Hope you all have fabulous weekends! I'm beat, so I'm off to go watch TV and read... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I sleep as well tonight as I did last night! I can't remember the last time I slept that soundly! Then again, I had no coffee at all yesterday, and four cups this morning at work, so I need to prepare myself for the fact that it might not happen. But here's hoping it does! :-)

No comments: