Saturday, February 28, 2009

Today I did two things I've never done before

1. I tried overnight oats for the first time.

2. I hit a car in a parking lot backing out of a spot.

I wasn't too happy with either event.

I've been seeing overnight oats all over the place in blogland, and decided that I wanted to give them a try, so I mixed up a batch on Friday night and let them sit in the fridge overnight- 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water, with cinnamon. Then I zapped them in the microwave this morning and added flaxseed and a banana:

DSCI1105 I liked the texture factor- definitely creamier than regular oats- but other than that, they didn't wow me. I actually thought they lacked flavor rather than combined the flavors overnight. I had to add more cinnamon and sugar-free maple syrup and it was still just eh. Maybe I should have used milk, and not water? Would that have made a difference? Oh well. I didn't have any milk and I always make my oats with H20 anyway. Well, whatevs. I also didn't notice much of a difference in time factor since I had to microwave them longer than usual since they were ice-cold, so I'll just stick to mixing it up in the morning. Different strokes for different folks! I'd give it another try, but wouldn't incorporate it into my everyday breakfast routine.

So the fender bender. After breakfast I ran to Trader Joe's quickly- I only had to get, like, four things. Ordinarily I pull through parking spots, so that way I don't have to back out of spots, I can just pull through, because I hate parking lots. But I figured, what the hell, I'm only going to be five or ten minutes, it's early, and it's not crowded. I'll be fine. Well, that backfired (no pun intended). Because while I was backing out of my spot, my little Nissan well-hidden between two SUVs/minivans, another SUV that didn't see me pulling out drove by and I totally smacked it. I didn't see it at ALL. I've never, ever, EVER hit a car. I didn't do any damage because I was backing out of the spot really slowly, plus she had an SUV and I have a little car (so if anyone would have damage, it's me, and my car looks totally fine), and the woman was super-nice about it- I was shaking a little bit and extraordinarily apologetic. She didn't see any damage either, but took my insurance info just in case and said she'd take her car to get washed, take another look, and give me a call. Not trying to cover it up or anything, but I seriously didn't see even a ding on her car, and she even admitted that she didn't see anything either. But with my shit luck, she'll call on Monday and claim she's got whiplash. I really hope that nothing comes of this and she only took my info as a precaution... I really just need someone to give me a break, you know? Like I don't have enough to deal with as it is right now, now I get to stress about whether she's going to file a claim or not. My roommate thinks it'll be fine- she didn't want to call a cop, didn't ask anyone in the parking lot if they witnessed anything, admitted she didn't see any damage and it was probably fine, not to worry, and was supernice about it. But I don't know... I just feel like the way my life has been going lately, that it's just one thing after another, so I wouldn't be surprised if this became an issue. Still... keep your fingers crossed for me. I need something good to happen to me for a change!!!!

On a brighter and less self-pitying note, my sister and I saw He's Just Not That Into You today. I LOVED it. This is SO going to be added to my DVD collection once it's available. I love the book, and I'm thrilled that the movie adaptation was so awesome (unlike the majority of movies that are based on books... cough cough, Confessions of a Shopaholic, cough cough). If you have never read the book, girls, you seriously need to right this minute. Even if you're in a relationship or are married or whatever, it's just a great book. I also have Greg Behrendt's other book, It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken, also very awesomely insightful. Greg is the man.

All right, I'm physically and emotionally drained (I didn't get much sleep last night, thanks to a combination of staying up too late and my cat whining at my door last night because he's a brat and a night owl and often wants to play and receive attention at 5 a.m.). It's time for me to call it a night, get my clothes out of the dryer (yes, it's Saturday night and I'm doing laundry, I'm not ashamed to admit it), get my PJs up and running, and curl up in bed with Swapping Lives- which I'm about one-fourth of the way into, and am loving it! Another Jane Green jewel... I need me some good chick lit right now, especially after seeing He's Just Not That Into You. I wish I had my copy of that right now to re-read, but I lent it to a girlfriend of mine, literally, about two years ago, and not only does she still have it, but she's also in a relationship right now, so I think it's time for her to give it back! It obviously worked for her and she doesn't need it anymore! :-D

Have a good rest of the evening!

No comments: